Saturday, July 26, 2008

Series: Geofinding




I am going to start a small series on this Blog. Nothing complicated, just short explanations of what Geocaching is. As we get into this little game more and more, I find myself forming new ways of explaining what it is. AND, because I write this Blog as much for me as for anybody else, the series is for me so that I will get better at explaining what this game is.

We have found ourselves explaining Geocaching to several of our friends over the last several months. Mainly because we enjoy this game more when more people we know get involved.

Probably the biggest problem with explaining what the game is all about is its title – “Geocaching.” Yes, that is what it is. No, it has nothing to do with CASH. I am not talking about treasure. There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. So, for this post, I am going to call it Geofinding.

I have heard of the bumper sticker that describes Geofinding like this “using expensive equipment to go deep into the woods to find a 10c toy.” That is pretty close, only sometimes there is no 10c toy.

I am going to describe Geofinding like this:

"Geofinding is a game where thousands of people around the world hide containers ranging in size and shape in places that are right under our noses. Why? So that others can go out and find them. The game is played with a GPS (coordinates posted online), the finder’s minds, and the great outdoors. The “caches” (which stands for hiding place) always contain a log (for the finders to sign) and sometimes contain many other items."

As I said above, I am going to make this a series to clear it up and find an easy way to describe Geocaching in 30 seconds or less (and actually have people understand what I am saying)… Watch for the icon above and join me on this journey to Discovering a Change of Pace – if I can explain it well enough.

No comments: